Residential Fires

Twenty percent of all fires in the US occur in the home. Eighty percent of all US fire-related deaths are the result of a residential fire. Residential fires resulting from wood fireplaces or pellet burning stoves have many causes: sparks igniting items near the fireplace, a blocked fireplace or chimney, a fire too large for the fireplace to contain, burning logs that fall out of the fireplace, a closed damper, burning inappropriate items and using gasoline or an accelerant on the fire. In addition to the danger of the fire itself, residential fires have related risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation. For this reason always have several smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house.

In the event of a residential fire leave the house immediately and call the fire department or emergency services. Many people underestimate the amount of smoke and heat produced by a fire and how quickly a fire spreads. To avoid losing valuable minutes during a fire, have a fire safety plan already in effect. The plan should include escape routes, 2 exits for every room, an outside meeting place and a decision about who will look after children or seniors. Have fire drills often and practice them at night since that's when most residential fires occur.

Advertiser Links for fireplace safety