Wood Stove Installation
A certified wood stove installation professional can be found through the yellow pages or through many home and garden depots. Wood stove installation requires good knowledge of the rules and a safety inspection to verify the wood stove meets fire regulations and environmental protection standards.
Installing wood stoves could take a weekend's worth of work, with the most difficult task often cutting the passageways for the stovepipe.
There are three main parts to installing wood stoves:
Placing the Stove - Find the most effective position for the stove that will provide optimum heating. The Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association recommends placing a wood stove in the centre of a house area to provide the most effective radial heat and safer distance from walls.
Heat Protection - The use of a heat shield (which can be made of copper, metal or other materials) can aid in relaxing some clearance requirements. The wood stove requires a hearth to protect the flooring from sparks and burning embers. Some options available are bricks over a metal sheet, mortared bricks, grouted ceramic tiles, or prefabricated insulated hearths.
The Chimney - Careful stacking of the appropriate piping atop the wood stove is of the utmost importance. Then:
- Place one end of the stovepipe in the flue collar of the wood stove.
- Add appropriate additional stovepipe pieces to raise the pipe towards the ceiling.
- Add an insulated chimney pipe support to connect the pipe to the ceiling.
- Use only insulated chimney piping through floors until the roof.
- Add flashing and seal to prevent leaks around the piping.
- Add the storm collar piping for strength.
- Complete the outdoor chimney with a chimney cap.
Professional Installation of Wood Stoves
Professional and competent installation can improve your confidence and relaxation. If you're not handy with installation or tools, it is wise to have professional installation. Bookmark this site now so you can return later to continue your search for products and services. You'll find all the fireplaces, inserts for gas fireplaces, fireplace accessories, mantels, wood stoves and hearth products. Check out the fine and stylish antique wood stoves too.